Chief Investment Officer
Washington, DC, District of Columbia
AJ Consultants has been retained by DC Green Bank to find their next Chief Investment Officer (CIO). DC Green Bank is an innovative financial solution provider supporting District businesses, organizations, and residents on the path to a cleaner future. They are building a diverse, talented and passionate team to help carry out this mission.
DC Green Bank (DCGB) seeks a Chief Investment Officer (CIO) to support its mission to provide access to capital, growing the clean economy to develop a more equitable, resilient, and sustainable DC. Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the CIO is responsible for the strategy, development, and implementation of DCGB’s clean energy and green investments and loan portfolio. The CIO will oversee the management and enhancement of existing investment programs, as well as leading the development of new investment approaches and capital funding opportunities. The CIO must possess exceptional people management and team building skills while bringing a systems approach to problem solving and consensus building. The CIO will work closely with the CEO and leadership team on new market opportunities and partnerships that align with DCGB’s mission and strategic growth.
Capital Strategy and Portfolio Management
- Working alongside the CEO and CFO, the CIO will be responsible for growing DCGB’s capital under management with new capitalization vehicles and investment strategies.
- Develop with the CEO the annual investment goals/targets that complement the strategic direction of the DC Green Bank and advance the deployment of clean energy, energy efficiency, green development, and other climate-related investments across the District of Columbia.
- Lead the deployment of capital under DCGB’s current lending programs.
- Oversee the Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE) program administration.
- Explore and develop market opportunities for new financing strategies, products, services, and systems to support DCGB’s strategic goals and climate impacts.
- Work with the investment team and the CFO to ensure that the investment portfolio grows and maintains a high level of quality, ensuring appropriate guidelines and risk management.
- Develop and maintain a thorough understanding of the market forces and community needs that impact green banking, reporting to the CEO with analysis and recommendations.
- Formulate and recommend investment policies and strategies to effectively manage the DCGB portfolio to moderate risk, deliver climate and social impacts and ensure financial sustainability.
- Present quarterly reports to the Board of Directors.
- Represent DCGB on portfolio matters with capital partners.
Team Leadership and Operational Management
- Manage the investment team and foster a collaborative work environment across DCGB.
- Ensure that the investment team can produce effective results, including growth in resources and strategic programs.
- Ensures the investment team develops and maintains effective operating guidelines and procedures.
- Translate external learnings into internal business process improvements.
- Lead DCGB’s performance management effort for assessing DC Green Bank investment products and programs.
- Promote a culture of entrepreneurship, financial competency, equal access, and inclusive prosperity within the organization and to customers, including assisting with developing and providing investment training programs to staff.
External Engagement and Business Development
- With the communications team, develop strategies to market and increase utilization of DCGB products and programs.
- Manage and grow strategic relationships with financial partners, potential borrowers, and other stakeholders, including representing DCGB at events and outreach opportunities.
- Lead development and execution of requests for proposals (RFPs) for new project investments and/or other purposes consistent with the mission of the organization.
- Represent DCGB in public speaking engagements and participate in industry events and conferences.
- 4-year degree in finance or a related field, MBA preferred. Dual degree in environmental sciences, sustainability, engineering, or clean energy-related fields a plus.
- Direct lending experience required in the climate mitigation/clean energy field.
- 10+ years leading and managing a lending or investment team.
- 7+ years in a direct supervisory or managerial capacity preferred.
- Experience in corporate, structured finance, and/or community lending preferred.
- Experience in credit risk analysis and management with formal credit training required.
- Strategic thinker with sound technical skills, analytical abilities, good judgment, and strong operational focus.
- Well organized and self-directed individual who is also team player.
- Executive presence, with excellent communication and relationship building skills and the ability to prioritize, negotiate and work with a variety of stakeholders; ability to relate to people at all levels of an organization.
- A good educator who is trustworthy and willing to share information and serve as a mentor.
- Ability to work collaboratively, exercising good judgment, decision-making, and problem-solving skills to achieve shared goals.
- Supervisory experience that includes team building, talent management, and leadership development.
- Commitment to the mission of DC Green Bank.
- Status: Full-time
- Location: Washington, DC
- Salary and benefits commensurate with experience; anticipated salary is $200,000 annually.
- DCGB policies include a preference for hiring District residents, or individuals who become District residents within 180 days of their becoming an employee of DCGB.
- Interested applicants should submit a CV/resume clearly outlining experience, abilities, and qualifications satisfying the needs of the organization.
- Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
About DC Green Bank:
DC Green Bank develops and facilitates innovative financial solutions to support District businesses, organizations, and residents on the path to a cleaner future for all. We invest in solar energy systems, energy efficient buildings and retrofits, green stormwater infrastructure, and transportation electrification in line with our values of Sustainability, Clean Economy, and Inclusive Prosperity. To date, DC Green Bank has invested millions of dollars in a cleaner, greener, and more equitable future. To learn more, please visit us at www.dcgreenbank.com